Alcides Rodriguez does all repairs and overhauls in our RMS shop in Atlanta. Please contact us for scheduling.
Even when a clarinet is brand new from the factory, it is necessary to make some adjustments so it can play its absolute best. These adjustments include but are not limited to: pad replacement, spring tension regulation, keywork adjustment, bumper adjustment/replacement, tone hole resurfacing, etc.
At RMS, we spend a lot of time making sure that that every single clarinet is setup correctly, and making sure that we address any issues that could keep you from testing a clarinet that performs at its best.
Every clarinet that leaves our shop has been setup and tested to ensure that:
- There are no leaking pads: factory pads are replaced as needed until a good seal is achieved. In some cases a full pad replacement is done.
- The key action is optimal: crisp and even key action.
- The spring tension is balanced: even tension on all the keys.
- Keys and Rings are checked for proper evenness and height.
- Pad opening is checked for proper venting: to eliminate stuffiness.
- All RMS R13 clarinets are also upgraded with premium pads.
We upgrade all of our R13 clarinets with detailed keywork and a combination of premium Valentino pads and white leather pads. We find that this combination maximizes overall resonance, evenness and achieves a more vocal quality in the connection between certain notes. The RMS R13 upgrade is a $350 value for $200 when the clarinet is purchased from RMS.
- Pad replacement
- Bumper replacement
- Tenon cork replacement
- Spring replacement
- Key height adjustment
- Spring tension adjustment
- Crack repairs
New clarinet upgrade/setup $425
(for new clarinets purchased from a dealer other than RMS within the last month)
- Upgrade all pads
- Upgrade all bumpers
- Adjust mechanisms
RMS Overhaul (Bb or A clarinet) $650
- Wood is fully cleaned and oiled.
- Hinges are degreased and oiled.
- Keys and posts are cleaned and polished.
- Tenon corks are replaced (if needed).
- All pads are replaced.
- Tone holes are resurfaced (as needed) to guarantee an optimal seal.
- Key play is eliminated to achieve optimal mechanism efficiency.
- Key height and spring tension are balanced.
- Spring replacement (as needed)
- Teflon inserts: Thumb F ring, left-hand F/C Lever
- Voicing and moderate tuning
- The clarinet is finally play tested and adjusted for ideal response and evenness.
One-year warranty on craftsmanship and materials (not including general wear and tear from use.)
Please call us to discuss any personal preferences.
What kind of pads are used for the overhauls?
I use a combination of cork, synthetic, and leather pads. This combination is the result of various experiments; I use it on my own clarinets and am very happy with it.
The upper joint is fitted with Valentino Masters Series pads (tan color). These simulate the feel and response of traditional cork pads but are quieter and don’t harden as they age. The register key is fitted with a cork pad.
The lower joint is fitted with a combination of Valentino Master Series white pads and white leather pads.
The bridge keys on the upper and lower joints are fitted with white leather pads to achieve a smoother connection.